About Me

My photo
Bucks County, PA, United States
In addition to her award-winning young adult fiction, Diana Muñoz Stewart runs her own company providing content for websites and blogs on health, writing, and family. She earned her Bachelor’s degree in English Literature from Rowan University and a Master’s degree in Creative Writing from the Stonecoast, University of Southern Maine. When she’s not writing, she can be found kayaking in her backyard or hiking with her kids and the man who’s made her heart race and palms sweat since their devoted teen years.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Bringing Out the Animal

Not as innocent as she looks.
Apparently my whole concept of myself as a loving person dominated by kind and gentle actions can be completely overturned by one trip through a blow up obstacle course. It brings out the animal in me. I'm not sure if it's the loss of balance-- I tumbled through and smashed my head into a spongy wall, or the shouts from onlookers, or the instinct that said the person racing me-- husband, kids, in-laws, or neighbors could not win, but two steps in and it was no-holds-barred. And by no-holds-barred I mean, I had no problem grabbing my brother-in-law by the back of his sweat soaked t-shirt, so I could drag him to the ground and use his face to hoist myself up the inflatable mountain. Unfortunately, I'm not the only one affected by the survivor reflex engendered by the blow up obstacle course. I did grab his t-shirt, but he didn't slow down. He kept going. It was like having a whale at the end of my fishing line. He pulled me up and over the mountains as I clung to the orange material for dear life. And apparently that kind of "winning" mentality runs in the family. My husband and I shoved and knocked into each other, and when we simultaneously began to scale the wall, he reached over and one armed me off! All in good fun, kids. I was laughing so hard I couldn't breath. And no one was hurt. The whole thing was bouncy.

It was really exciting to see how people's competitive nature comes out with this kind of challenge, and I have to say it's one of the most fun things we've ever done to celebrate anything. In this case, we celebrated my son graduating high school. He, stood at the top of the mountain and dared people to push him off. You'd be surprised at the number of takers. Who knew his grandmother could be so tough?

No comments:

Post a Comment