About Me

My photo
Bucks County, PA, United States
In addition to her award-winning young adult fiction, Diana Muñoz Stewart runs her own company providing content for websites and blogs on health, writing, and family. She earned her Bachelor’s degree in English Literature from Rowan University and a Master’s degree in Creative Writing from the Stonecoast, University of Southern Maine. When she’s not writing, she can be found kayaking in her backyard or hiking with her kids and the man who’s made her heart race and palms sweat since their devoted teen years.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

The King and I

Today I ran for a good cause--the Montgomery County Child Advocacy Program. Now, I consider myself a fairly easy going person. I would not think of myself as the kind of person who'd go for a five mile "fun run" for a good cause, and find herself picking out certain people that she is not going to let pass her or get too far ahead of her. But that's exactly what I did. At one point I had to leave my husband slightly behind in order to pass the people I said I wasn't going to let finish before me. How very silly and competitive. How very unlike me. And yet, it made the whole thing that much more fun. For example, there was no way I was letting the guy dressed up as Elvis--the heavy gaudy years, cross the finish line before me. I blew by Fat Elvis, crossed the finish line, and then turned to watch my husband. He was neck and neck with the portly King! I started jumping up and down, raising my arms. I hadn't spoken to him about this, but in my mind there was no way Fat Elvis should finish before him. My husband picked up speed, overtook Fat Elvis, and crossed the finish line to triumphant cheers from me. Everyone around me thought I was a lunatic. This was, after all, a five mile fun run to help abused children. Yes, I'm slightly embarrassed telling you this story.


Still, one of the best parts of the race was when my husband crossed the finish line, trotted up to me and said, "I beat Fat Elvis." Oh, yeah, baby. I knew there was a reason I married this guy. : )







http://www.mcapkids.org/runforthehillofit/raceinformation.html

2 comments:

  1. Haha I love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that was Melissa...and she is me

    ReplyDelete