About Me

My photo
Bucks County, PA, United States
In addition to her award-winning young adult fiction, Diana Muñoz Stewart runs her own company providing content for websites and blogs on health, writing, and family. She earned her Bachelor’s degree in English Literature from Rowan University and a Master’s degree in Creative Writing from the Stonecoast, University of Southern Maine. When she’s not writing, she can be found kayaking in her backyard or hiking with her kids and the man who’s made her heart race and palms sweat since their devoted teen years.

Friday, March 5, 2010

PROMOTING MY BETTER HALF

My husband has always referred to me as his better half. I grudgingly put up with it, though I’d make a face or wave it off, because that saying always made me uncomfortable. To me, it felt as if he was putting himself down to raise me up. The whole idea bothered me until I read this definition on phrases.org: “This term wasn't originally restricted to referring to one's spouse as we use it now, but to a dear friend. It was used that way by the Roman poet Horace and later by Statius. The allusion then was to a friend so dear that he/she was more than half of a person's being.”

Ah, now that’s a statement I can get behind. Today I am promoting Climate of Uncertainty, a book written by my better half, William Stewart—just Bill to me. I met my husband on my fifteenth birthday. I remember thinking he was a bit standoffish and that he probably didn’t like me. We’ve been married now for twenty-six years. Guess I was wrong. I wish I could convey to you the ups and downs of our life, the struggles and success that fill my heart with a sense of joy and triumph, and more importantly the amazing sense of fairness that is at Bill’s core, and the true decency that drives him. I can’t. I can tell you that through the court system he has been the front man on many battles for many people weaker than him that needed someone to protect them. You see he’s been practicing law now for twenty years, and in my house that means something noble. Bill’s sense of balance and justice has led him to his most recent endeavor, taking on climate change. As a lawyer practicing environmental law, he’s come across a wealth of information on the subject. Honestly, we have so many books on the subject I fear we’ve depleted rainforest and are contributing to the problem! ; )

If you feel that climate change is happening and changing our world, you probably know someone, someone you highly respect, who thinks the opposite. If you think the science is still out on climate change you probably know someone, someone you highly respect, who thinks the opposite. What my husband has done with this book is pretty amazing. He basically is presenting the science for both sides and laying it out without all the hype or agenda that so many people who are involved with climate change feel is necessary. I think the best way to describe his book is to say it’s a climate change book for grownups. People who don’t need to hear one half of an argument. People who want to see the balance of the arguments, and judge the truth for themselves. Climate change is a complicated issue, and Bill has managed to break it down into the most relevant facts and to take the complications and make them easy to understand. I've pasted a link for the book. It’s time for grownups to take a look at the issue in a balanced way and to ask ourselves, “What’s there to lose by making our world a better place?”

http://www.amazon.com/Climate-Uncertainty-William-Stewart/dp/0976729164/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267821652&sr=8-1

Just checked Amazon. They sold out! More books should be delivered in a week, but they're available here now: http://oceanpublishing.org/climate-of-uncertainty.html

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I'll get the book.

    PS: That's exactly how I call Zulma. Thanks for sharing its roots. I didn't know.

    Rada.

    ReplyDelete